Told You So....

So, I've been with my husband for 7 years and in all that time he has been a really picky eater. He refused to eat anything that doesn't look good or that he doesn't think will taste good, and there is a very long list of foods that he just doesn't like. Unfortunately I'm the exact opposite...there are only 2 foods that I refuse to eat. One of my most favorite foods just happens to be chilli....and one of the foods that he pronounced as gross, without ever trying it. So I have gone the last 7 years without ever making my own chilli, until Friday.

While we were in BC visiting my inlaws, my husband's dad, on hearing that he didn't like chilli, but had never tried it, got him to taste the chilli that he had made. My husband said it was "okay" and that he'd eat it if he had to. However, he opted for soup instead of chilli for lunch that day. So on Friday, I asked him if it was okay if I made chilli, seeing as how he tried it at his dads. He said it was okay if I did, but "it better not suck". Oh, great, I think.... I just hate it when he doesn't like the food I cook...it's like it's a comment on my abilities and ends up as a blow to my ego.

So we sit down to dinner and begin to eat, when he asks me, "if I tell you something, will you promise I won't hear about it for the rest of my life?" I tell him that he's not allowed to tell me anything that's going to hurt my feelings....fully expecting him to say that he didn't like the food. But he promised that he wouldn't hurt my feelings, so I said that I promised not to bug him about it.

So he says....

"This is really good!"

"Ha! Ha!" I exclaimed, "I told you so!"

It was a triumph, I'm telling you. It felt like I'd won a battle that had been raging for years. Victory was mine!

Now the only thing I have left for him to try is chicken pot pie and my spaghetti sauce.

0 comments: